Here was our message as of August 23, 2021:
Thanks to each of you for registering on sportsengine.com for this fall. We are pleased that nearly 130 expressed an interest along with 25-30 coaches. We obviously needed to know if we would have enough players and coaches if we were able to return to team-based play.
Unfortunately, the coronavirus is getting in our way.
- There continues to be an increase in the number of COVID cases especially in Polk County and contiguous counties (red zone);
- The vaccination rate in Iowa continues to be low (around 50%), far from providing us with herd immunity;
- The new Delta variant is highly contagious (more contagious than chicken pox),
- Adults, even if vaccinated, can spread the virus;
- The realization that a number of our players cannot be vaccinated due to age or the fact that the vaccine could interfere with other medications;
- We do not know the effect of possible increased spread due to school resuming;
- Local school boards, various levels of government, and state-run institutions are unable to mandate masks.
Because of all these factors, and our goal to provide a safe and secure environment for all players, families, and volunteers, we will NOT be offering team-based play this fall. Again, regrettably, there will not be the fall season that we all were so looking forward to.
Our board has pledged to watch the numbers and various pieces of data each week. Should we see improvements, we will certainly consider other avenues, perhaps even some “pop up” games.
We will not be playing August 28th.
“Wear and Care”