Come Be a Buddy!
Our Kiwanis Miracle League provides children with physical or mental challenges a safe and spirited environment where they can hit, run, and catch on a baseball field. Children aged five through eighteen with special needs are welcome. The Kiwanis Miracle League at Principal Park is a place where every player plays on a team–every player hits, every player gets on base, every player scores, and every player wins – every inning! Every player is matched with a “buddy” to help with hitting, catching, fielding, or throwing the ball, and to provide encouragement and assistance as needed.
Kiwanis Miracle League Buddies are volunteers ranging in age from middle school (12) to senior citizens. Buddies provide safety first; they enthusiastically play baseball with their special player; and encourage the player to have fun! Buddies will receive training, commit to the “Buddy Pledge”, and can receive community service credit.
The specific duties of a Buddy are to act as an “Angel in the Outfield” to an assigned player. Each player will have different abilities and special needs.
MANY thanks to the groups and individuals who served as Buddies for our exhibition season in 2008, and our spring and fall seasons in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016. It takes many hands for these special kids to have a memorable experience at our ball park.
We’ve now completed our 2016 Seasons. And, before you know it, it will be spring and time to start playing again. Our 2017 Spring Season will be May 6 – June 27. We don’t play in July and August (typically Iowa’s warmest months). Our Fall Season is tentatively set to open August 26, and run through October 14. Hope you’ll consider joining us. Groups, such as church youth groups, HS athletic teams, companies, etc. are also welcome!
Go to our home page and click on the orange volunteer button for steps to sign up for buddying. This is the ONLY way to register as a buddy. (NOTE: If you are having difficulty with the link, perhaps getting a white page and only the masthead of SignUp.com, you may need to change browsers–e.g., AOL to Google Chrome or Firefox).
- When you click this link, you will be asked for your email address. Please enter the email address you would like us to use to contact you about Kiwanis Miracle League opportunities/information. If you do not have an email address, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator (see below).
- With a click, you will be in the SignUp.com web site.
3. You’ll be able to view the various game times on all Saturdays in our spring season and sign up to buddy for whatever times fit your schedule. You can sign up for one hour-long game or multiple games, on the same day or varying dates. Be sure to provide your cell phone number in the event we cancel a game, due to inclement weather, e.g.
4. Download the volunteer and release forms from this web site (read further down on this page), download, complete, and fax to 515.457.7694; or PDF and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you completed a volunteer form for a previous season, you will need to complete another for 2016. If you complete a 2017 form for the Spring Season, you won’t need to complete an additional form for the Fall Season.
5. SignUp.com will send you an email reminder two days before your selected time.
6. Arrive at the site at least 15 minutes before game time to check in.
7. Wear your “Angel in the Outfield” t-shirt from last season/year if you’re a repeat buddy. (Or your organization’s logo shirt if you’re part of a group). Donations are always welcome for your Angel shirt.
8. If you have questions, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Jan Burch at 515.457.7691 or email@example.com.
If you are part of a group, please have your coordinator contact Jan directly before registering your group.
Come experience the fun…and enjoy your community service experience!
updated 2.16.17 3:55 pm